“I wish I knew how to quit you, Tumblr.”
-John Greene (maybe)
30 years is a long time. Just long enough for the internet to become a thing, connect the whole world, have them realize they want to connect even harder, and then create the farce of social media in 2016. It’s a crazy sentiment to consider Facebook “for old people” and Twitter “dead”. (No seriously, here is an article from the New Yorker literally claiming that).
FB’S TARGET AUDIENCE
But what’s the reality? Like real reality, not the Kardashian type. Social media isn’t even old enough for high school, and we are already assigning it a swift and re-tweeted death. The average life during the Paleolithic period was twice as long as social media, most likely because they didn’t have to suffer through Friendster.
Suffice it to say, social media may not be here in 10 years. So what will we do? TALK to people….like in person? Hopefully not, but here is a breakdown of what the alternative was in 1986:
EXTRA FUN FACTS ABOUT 1986
click here to see the facts
- Corazone Aquino was TIME Person of the Year
- (Not so fun) This was the year the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded on take off
- The Mets won the World Series
- Top Gun was released
- Bananarama hit the top of the charts with Venus. whoops this is the video I meant here.
- Dallas got a lot less interesting
- Rick Allen returned to Def Leppard one arm lighter
- The Legend of Zelda made it’s debut
- HOWARD THE DUCK
Social Media in 1986
NOW IS A PERFECT TIME TO WHORE MY SOCIAL MEDIA….THE LINKS ARE LIKE EVERYWHERE ON THIS WEBSITE.
JUST START CLICKING RANDOM THINGS ON THIS PAGE UNTIL YOU FIND ME ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, AND INSTAGRAM.
What you have learned today
- Shutter shades are cool af
- Everything looks better in pink